Affidavit and Proof of Service Requirements Guide, California Edition
Process Server Institute has published a 100 + page guide describing how to correctly prepare the California Proof of Service of Summons-POS-010 forms and Notice to a Tenant. A section is devoted to preparing a Proof or Service or an Affidavit of Service for use in every other state. The guide is intended to supplement The Registered Process Server’s Guide to Service of Process in California, 5th Edition. We also intend to create consistency and standardization between a process server preparing the proof of service and the court clerk that needs to review it.
This book is published in 3 hole-punched, loose-leaf format allowing for periodic updates, and to allow the user to inter-leaf examples of proofs or affidavits of service found during the course of business. Several Blank Proof and Affidavit of Service Forms for use in California and New Jersey are linked, the only two states with mandatory forms. Blank proofs of service of any type of document and a declaration of diligence form are posted on the Fillable Proofs of Service Forms page.
The California Code Sections and Rules of Court sections list the text of the laws governing service of a summons on a defendant and notice to a tenant. The service statutes are included so that the proof of service can reflect that the proper service requirements were met.
A generic affidavit that can be used in any state is also provided, but may be further enhanced by reviewing the Summary of Affidavit Requirements by State section for any known requirements by the state court where the action is pending.
The Essential Elements of an Affidavit, Proof and Return of Service section describes the information that may be required in proving service. The elements that are required are further described in the Summary of Affidavit Requirements by State.
The Summary of Affidavit Requirements by State describes affidavit and proof of service requirements for all states, federal courts, and one Canadian Province court. (See sample page here)
This book is $35.00, plus tax and shipping via Media Mail: $46.25.
The Registered Process Server’s Guide to Service of Process, 5th Edition is supplemented with the Affidavit and Proof of Service Requirements Guide that includes exemplars on how to complete proofs of service.
Exemplars included demonstrate how to complete the mandated California Proof of Service of Summons form. There are 22 separate examples in the book:
- Personal Service – Individual (CCP § 415.10) (See sample of Exemplar)
- Personal Service – Corporation (CCP § 416.10) (See sample of Exemplar)
- Personal Service – Association or Partnership (CCP § 416.20)
- Personal Service – Limited Liability Company (Corp. Code § 17701.16)
- Personal Service -Public Entity (CCP § 416.50)
- Personal Service – Individual as a Doe Defendant (CCP § 474)
- Substituted Service on a Business (CCP § 415.20(a))
- Substituted Service on an Individual (CCP § 415.20(b)
- Substituted Service on an Individual at a Mailing Address (CCP § 415.20(b))
- Substituted Service – Gated Community – Individual (CCP § 415.21, Bein v. Brechtel-Jochim Group, Inc. (1992) 6 Cal.App.4th 1387, 8 Cal.Rptr. 351)
- Service on an Unnamed Occupant (CCP § 415.46)
- Service on a Business Organization, Form Unknown (CCP § 416.95)
- Service Pursuant to a Posting Order (CCP § 415.45)
- Court Ordered Service (CCP § 413.30)
- Notice to Tenant
- Affidavits of Service
Purchase Books and Continuing Education Materials through PayPal
Return to Process Server Institute Home